NEW DELHI: Around 2,000 successful candidates of the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination protested outside the Jharkhand Secretariat on Tuesday, fearing that the state government’s decision to cancel the exam could cost them their jobs.“Tell us our crime. Don’t throw us out,” one of the candidates said, as quoted by news agency PTI, capturing the anger and uncertainty among those who have already been appointed to government posts.The Jharkhand government on Monday night announced the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and all recruitment tests conducted by outsourced agency TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd (TDPL) since 2014, following sustained protests over alleged irregularities in government recruitment exams.While the decision was a key demand of the protesting job aspirants, it has triggered a fresh dispute with candidates who cleared the JSSC-CGL examination arguing that they should not be punished for alleged wrongdoing unless their individual involvement is established.
Successful candidates demand CBI probe
The affected candidates said they do not oppose an investigation into alleged irregularities but want an opportunity to defend themselves. They are now also demanding a CBI probe into the examination process.Kaushal Kumar, an assistant section officer in the Jharkhand government, said the candidates had joined their posts after the recruitment process and court proceedings.“Tell us our crime. Don’t throw us out. We were appointed after a court order,” he said.Appealing to the government outside the Secretariat, Kumar added, “We have come with all documents. Don’t cancel it (exams). Probe it. Do a CBI probe or whatever investigation you deem fit, but please don’t do injustice to us.”The candidates had attempted to meet Chief Minister Hemant Soren on Monday night as he held a marathon meeting with his Cabinet colleagues on the demand to cancel recruitment examinations.The JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch has been leading the agitation for more than two weeks over alleged corruption and irregularities in job exams.Another appointee, Chanda Kumari, questioned whether successful candidates had been given a fair chance to present their case before the cancellation decision.“Democracy means that 100 guilty may be spared, but no innocent should be punished,” she said.Kumari, who said she comes from a poor background, said she had qualified the 14th JPSC examination and the Forest Range Officer mains examination through hard work.“We could not have bought all these jobs,” she said, rejecting the suggestion that all successful candidates had benefited from alleged malpractice.
Candidates cite court scrutiny, fear age-bar problem
The candidates have pointed to previous judicial proceedings involving the recruitment process, saying the examination had already faced investigation and court scrutiny.They said the Jharkhand High Court, in a December judgment, rejected a demand for a CBI investigation and held that the existing Special Investigation Team (SIT) probe was adequate.They are now seeking a distinction between candidates accused of wrongdoing and those who secured appointments without any established misconduct.S K Singh, another protester, said many candidates had already waited years for the recruitment process to conclude and had joined government service after legal proceedings.“You cannot throw us out without any rhyme or reason,” he said.Kumar claimed that more than 500 successful candidates had even left Central government jobs after securing appointments in Jharkhand.“One resigned from a Level-6 central position, a job in the India Meteorological Department, to join a job here. Where would we go?” he said.Several candidates are now threatening further legal action and hunger strikes. They are particularly concerned that fresh recruitment may not offer a realistic alternative to those who have crossed the upper age limit for government jobs.
Government defends cancellation, promises recruitment reforms
The state government has defended the cancellation as necessary to restore confidence in the recruitment system amid allegations of irregularities.Higher and technical education minister Sudivya Kumar said the successful candidates could seek legal recourse.JMM spokesperson Manoj Pandey acknowledged the candidates’ concerns and said the party was sympathetic to them.“We are sympathetic to them,” Pandey said, while maintaining that fresh vacancies would provide opportunities to deserving candidates. He also referred to a judicial inquiry headed by a retired judge.
Share your thoughts in the comments
Be respectful · TOI community guidelines
Chief minister Hemant Soren announced the cancellation late on Monday and said an exam reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal would recommend measures to strengthen the recruitment examination process.After Soren’s announcement, student leader Devendra Nath Mahto ended his 16-day hunger strike, calling the decision a “huge victory for Jharkhand”.“I thank the Jharkhand government for showing the courage to make such a significant decision, canceling an exam was a massive challenge,” he said.“Today marks a huge victory for Jharkhand. While I am now suspending my protest, my struggle for reform will continue,” Mahto added.The government has also said it will overhaul the examination system and strengthen enforcement against the use of unfair means.






